Longview’s first white settlers; John Quirk was the first settler in High River and owned almost 20 miles of land from High River to Longview Hill, also known as the Big Hill back then. John Quirk started the Q brand in the early 1880’s then he ran cattle in the spring of 1937.
Neil Webster and Alf Baines started a general store next to Long Tom Kee, a pioneer Chinaman who built a restaurant on the corner of Trail where it joined the old south to Pekisko. Then in the late 1950’s the Gallup’s bought the Q brand from John Quirk. The Bar U ran to the top of the hill The Gallup’s have owned it ever since. The Bar U is a historical site east of Longview.
:55 video (.984 Mb)